Cannabis Local Law Consultation | Sacramento, CA


A cannabis entrepreneur must recognize the risk they are taking prior to entering the industry:

Even if you legally obtain your state and local cannabis license, you are still breaking Federal Law and are subject to Federal criminal and civil penalties.

The content below operates under the assumption that you are aware of said risk, and understand the potential consequences. None of the content that follows intends to endorse or encourage breaking Federal Law. This content, therefore, does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship. It is an informational resource on current California State and Local licensing procedures.

Cannabis Law and Licensing

All of the California State cannabis temporary and annual cannabis licenses require authorization from the locality an entrepreneur intends to operate in. Therefore, a cannabis entrepreneur should always begin by looking into the local regulations of the city or county they intend on operating in to make sure the cannabis license they seek is offered by the city or county.

For any type of local Sacramento Cannabis license, an entrepreneur must obtain two types of permits:

The CUP applies to the businesses’ property, while the BOP applies to operating the business. A marijuana entrepreneur should take care of the CUP prior to the BOP, as the BOP applications require the CUP. Additionally, certain Sacramento cannabis licenses require a Neighborhood Responsibility Agreement. All licenses required fingerprinting as part of background check.

Cannabis Cultivation

At this time, Sacramento allows indoor cultivation operations with three different permit types:

  • Class A for indoor cultivation of no more than 5,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size
  • Class B for indoor cultivation of no more than 10,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size
  • Class C for indoor cultivation sites up to 22,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size

Cannabis Delivery

Medical and Adult-Use cannabis storefront and non-storefront delivery is permitted by dispensaries. Deliveries must be completed by dispensary employees.

Cannabis Distribution

There are two types of cannabis distribution permits in Sacramento:

  • Distribution Center - for a site for a site over 2,500 sq. ft., intended for businesses with the sole function of distributing and transporting products through the supply chain; and
  • Distribution Service – for a site 2,500 sq. ft. or less, intended as an add-on or secondary permit that will allow an entity already holding another type of cannabis permit to distribute their own products through the supply chain.

Centers cannot be located within 600 feet of schools aged K-12, as well as neighborhood and neighborhood and community parks.

Cannabis Dispensaries

Applications for storefront dispensaries are currently not being accepted in Sacramento. Non-storefront delivery-only applications are being accepted, however.

Cannabis Manufacturing

Nonvolatile cannabis manufacturing is currently allowed in Sacramento. Cannabis manufacturers cannot be located with in 600 feet of schools, but can be located within 600 feet of community and neighborhood parks if approved by the Planning and Design Commission.

Cannabis Testing

A CUP is not required for Sacramento cannabis testing, but a BOP is.

Cannabis License Fees

Sacramento cannabis licensing fees can be found at:

Cannabis Local Sacramento Law Questions?

If you have any questions about the Sacramento cannabis licensing process, contact Attorney Kocot directly at 916-572-6455 or at